Thread: Silliness Quiz
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #10875
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I remember when I discovered that and thought I was a genius—then I discovered that a whole army of Adams fans had discovered it before me and I didn't feel so special.

For the record, Adams said it was just a coincidence that it worked out that way in base 13. His intention was to write something humorous and off the wall. That it turned out to be mathematically accurate was purely serendipitous.
It was a one in three to one in four chance of an integer base

36 : 6x9 in base 16
37 : no integer base solution
38 : no integer base solution
39 : 6x9 in base 15
40 : no integer base solution
41 : no integer base solution
42 : 6x9 in base 13
43 : no integer base solution
44 : no integer base solution
45 : no integer base solution
46 : 6x9 in base 12