View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #237
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The default mode of the kindle is portrait mode. As knc1 suggested, landscape mode is a deviation from the default.

Changing the jailbreak instructions to include landscape mode would only serve to add extra complexity to the instructions.

That said, it may be a good idea to modify the jailbreak instruction screen (and thread first post) to say that this must be installed in portrait mode.
I've added a note to the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwuser View Post

Can I use this jailbreak to turn my Kindle PW into an ebook-reader, that does not "phone home" to amazon?

- No logging of my data, my collection, my books, their titles, authors etc., things that I upload or delete from the Kindle PW via USB/Calibre
- no "phoning home" of that data
- I still want to have the possibility of buying amazon books online, using 3G and the integrated store on the PW (and yes, I know: these buys are logged, which is part of the deal of shopping online)
- I know about the thread, which warns you to use a "stop phoning home"-modification, that can brick a Kindle Touch (it does not mention the PW...)
- I am not experienced with Linux and the associated programs/language.

Is this jailbreak sufficient for this, or what other mod's do I need to achieve that on an Kindle Paperwhite?
As knc1 wrote, the jailbreak itself is not sufficient, but you'll need "something else" to modify the phone-home behavior. That was the bad news.

The good news: because I am myself extremely irritated about the amount of personal information that the Paperwhite gathers and transmits to Amazon, I'll probably be looking into this soon ("soon" as in "in the next weeks, not necessarily tomorrow").

I'm thinking of a JBPatch patch* which entirely disables the upload of the logs.

Technical information ahead: as far as I understand (but I did not look into this very closely yet, so take this with a grain of salt), the communication protocol has an (Amazon-triggered) command which invokes "/usr/bin/showlog", and uploads the result. And this command seems to be run every single time you turn on network connectivity - HUGE privacy invasion, especially given the amount of information contained in the syslog.

A simple example of a short-term workaround is to rename /usr/bin/showlog to /usr/bin/showlog.real, and to ln -sf /bin/true /usr/bin/showlog. But I'm not entirely sure whether the "send-me-all-your-personal-data" command uses showlog alone, or whether it also knows about the archived ("rotated") log files, so this needs some further investigation.

So to summarize: If you're confident about what you are doing, try the above method, or use iptables rules to deny access to Amazon servers. If you're not, well, you'll have to sit and wait - but rest assured that you're not the only one who doesn't like to be supervised by Amazon.

(*) Does anybody have a better formulation for "JBPatch patch"?
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote