View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #11
jnash
jnash began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700, HTC Here, and iPod Touch
Format Suggestion

I have been working on formatting a Bible also. My father-inlaw asked me to find him a Spanish language and I found this:

http://jolon.org/vanillaforum/commen...onID=32&page=1

The text is in XML so I wrote a small program that will read and parse the XML and generate an HTML file that calibre will convert. I took a similar approach to what was done here with the KJV with one important (at least in my opinion) difference. I broke up the chapter lists into groups of 10.

Let's suppose one wants to look up Matthew 19:1

Using the table of contents (KJV):

Page (3), Zero (1), Up (10), Select (1) = 15 clicks

Using the embedded TOC (KJV):

Page (1), Down (4), Select (2), Up (10), Select (1) = 18 clicks

I am still trying to understand how calibre builds the TOC so right now I only have the built in TOC that I've created with links. The clicks look like:

Down (1), Select (1) (select page of book-links that has Matthew on it)

Up (1), Select (1) (Matthew happens to be the last book listed on that page. Jump to Matthew)

Page (1), Up (2), Select (1) (Chapter 19 is on the second page of the list of chapters and it is 2nd from the bottom.)

Total clicks = 8

I think I could improve this a little if I thought some more about the layout of the lists and how many books or chapters are on each page. Since on-screen navigation is so slow I felt like it was worth the time to think about this.

I think this version of the KJ Bible is so much nicer than any of the other versions I have seen. Thank you so much for your time and effort!

-Jon
jnash is offline   Reply With Quote