Thread: iLiad Ruby 1.8.5 for iLiad
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Thomas- View Post
It creates a directory structure for /usr/local on the memory you run the installer from. So if you run it from CF card, /usr/local will point to /media/cf/_local. This is done to overcome the iLiad's small internal memory and to have a central location for third party apps.
I hope this (slightly off-topic) discussion does not shadow the availability of Ruby on the Iliad ... it's great to have!

IMHO it's a *very* bad idea to symlink /usr/local to a cf or sd.
  • Other apps (like Feedbooks subscriptions plugin) might depend on software installed there. These will be broken when the sd card is removed
  • Besides: the preinstall will break apps that have been installed with a similar trick; and your package will be broken by the next one using a similar preinstall script.
  • I think this would corrupt the ipkg configuration...
  • I think using ipk's is only safe when installing on internal memory. For installs on cf just use plain install scripts.
  • What if another package (to be installed in /usr/local) does not want to be installed on the cf card (I read that access to cf can break a wifi connection)?

thanks for the recipe

Continue the good work!

Last edited by hansel; 01-11-2009 at 12:14 PM.
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote