View Single Post
Old 04-03-2019, 10:45 AM   #20
gianni_fed
Enthusiast
gianni_fed began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingduck View Post
Reading the complete thread and I'am still confused what you are doing...

a) You did a backup of your calibre library.
b) You are showing a program that tries to open a ZIP file and report a major error with opening an EPUB file.
c) You are telling that you loose +1k books by backing up the calibre database.
d) You are showing a report telling that the file you like to open isn't a valid EPUB file (calibre and Sigil).
e) And you are telling that the RAR is better than ZIP. Well, this is a more philosophic statement what have nothing to do with your fileor backup problem. In this case it is simply a book format decision and not a calibre owned decision (especially for the problem you have for now). Calibre needs only to deal with existing book formats and have no influence on format definitions.

But you don't tell exactly what you are doing. Nothing from what you wrote have to do with backup / restore so fare. There is a "not in fractional parts" story to tell. How should anyone give you a good support without knowing what exactly you are doing? By the way, it is common to tell also what calibre version and OS is involved in a problem.

The big question is, how exactly did you make the backup and how did you restore.

The error you are asking for tells you exactly what had happen if calibre tries to open the file. Your EPUB isn't a EPUB. This means either you have a corrupt file, format wise a corrupt zip archive or a non EPUB file with a wrong file extension. Calibre can't do anything with this file because of these specific information:

a) "BadZipfile: Bad magic number for file header"
b) "ValueError: Not a ZIP file"
c) Sigil shows you exactly the same problem
d) Your archive program too tells you there are major problems with the file.

This all is nothing that indicate calibre as a root cause so fare.
When something like this happen you will face out immediately tons of postings here as this is a elementary problem then.

You or your system obviously did something outside calibre with your files (in case you hadn't problems before to open this files within calibre). Any idea?

Best regards, DD
Hello to all.
as you can see from the attached file, I continue to have the "Not a ZIP file" error when I try to extract some books from my Calibre library with "Save on the disk" and "Save on the disk in a single folder".
What I don't understand is: why in all files the errors are exatly in the same lines?
Thanks.
Best regards,
Gianni
Attached Files
File Type: txt Nuovo documento di testo.txt (7.7 KB, 136 views)
gianni_fed is offline   Reply With Quote