View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 07:46 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I was so busy getting ready for the holidays that I didn't start reading these stories until yesterday. I really enjoyed the first story and liked all the detail in the writing style.

These stories have been criticized that his writing style became too mature and that trying to put so much detail and knowledge about Hawaii into the stories helped distract from a tighter plot. By contrast the earlier stories of his career were more of a direct writing style with mass appeal.

I don't know how much he edited his work. Maybe since they were published posthumously that the stories didn't benefit from much effort to improve them. Supposedly his other stories about Hawaii, The House of Pride published in 1912, are better.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote