View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 02:19 AM   #3
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I enjoyed the book very much, particularly the 14th century sections, which I found very convincing. (Though I don't have any expert knowledge about the period to say how authentic the depiction was.) The final scenes in the 14th century were devastating and gave a real feeling of the horror of the Black Death. The tension built towards the end very well.

Some of the 21st century characters were pretty two-dimensional, but they were there to be irritating and difficult and succeeded in that. And I can well imagine that in a great crisis there would always be some people who cared only about their own concerns and complained constantly about unimportant matters. But even with the shortage of staff, I can't imagine the hospital letting the appalling Mrs Gaddson loose on the patients.

I wasn't really bothered about the lack of mobile phones and internet: I just accepted that communications would get jammed in such a situation and add to the characters' difficulties.

Not great literature but I enjoyed it. Four stars from me.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote