View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 11:41 PM   #3
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle voyage
I'm listening to the audiobook narrated by John Lee and translated by Pevear and Volokhonsky. For me they are the cream of Russian translators. After listening to a little, I may also buy the ebook version to go back and refer to passages.

One of the first things I noticed in the writing was how vivid everything was right out the gate. Especially with longer books I feel sometimes it takes an author awhile to set everything up properly before the story and scenes become more vivid in my mind's eye. One of the other things I noticed is that it reminded me of other older Russian authors, which isn't surprising but it's interesting how a national style can pass along through authors. Especially I thought of Tolstoy and while Pasternak's style does seem very different it just seems he was definitely influenced by Tolstoy, with the more obvious similarities being that both are longer 'epics' and the focus on characters pondering philosophy. Oh, and

Spoiler:
the suicide by train, ahem.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote