View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #17
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
I have a Kindle 2. Was ready for another reader, as I accidentally left my K2 in China with my girlfriend, and since the battery was dying anyway, I didn't ask her to ship it back to me.

I was thinking of a Kindle Paperwhite; liked the small size and light. But then I remembered my K2 was kind of hard to hold onto, because it was so slick. (like iPhones without a case)

I went into B&N and checked out the nook SimpleTouch. Feels much better in the hand than a K2 or K3. Has a bit of friction and a nice curve to it. I decided in the end that the light was not worth another $40 to me, so I went with the basic one.

I also like the idea of supporting my local bookstore, as I don't want to see books become an online commodity only. I like having them around, like having the choice of browsing and buying paper books too.

I went in there the other day, and the nook recognizes when I'm in a B&N. Offers me free articles/books to read, free reading of ebooks for an hour while in-store.

If you're outside the US and don't want to root the device, I guess I can see why Kindle might be a better choice for you.

I did have a big hassle getting my credit card linked to my B&N account last week. The links to do it didn't work. I chatted with someone through the website, and they were 100% useless. Finally, I got someone on the phone who helped me fix it up. I had to get in through the back door link, and all was well.

Amazon sure made their syncing with the website a lot more seamless. Their Paperwhite is smaller, but has the same size screen, I think, so it is more pocketable, but this nook SimpleTouch is small enough to be very handy.

I haven't decided if I'm going to root my nook. I don't want it to become unreliable, or require a lot of tinkering to get it to work right.

You know, the thing they should do is make the batteries replacable, so the device doesn't become junk when the battery life comes to an end. As it is, we pay slightly more than paperback prices for new books, plus the cost of the device, which we can plan on replacing every few years. So we're not saving any money; only space.

Well, enjoy your Kindle. It's not a bad choice.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote