View Single Post
Old 03-29-2005, 03:48 PM   #12
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I'm a happy owner of an ebookwise 1150. After using it for a month I've found I really enjoy using it. I agree with all comments and reviews posted here.

Here are some things I found that can be polished in order to make this reader a great device that shows all the potential and the real advantage of ebooks over regular paper books.

First of all: I think a dictionary would be a great addition to it. I read this device was supposed to have a single-tap dictionary, but I couldn't find it. It would also be great if one could have translation dictionaries for reading books in different languages. I'm learning french and I still have to have a paper dictionary by my side. Wouldn't it be great to just tap on the word in the screen to read their meaning? I think that's possible on this device. The firmware just has to be updated.

The GUI (graphical user interface) could also be polished. There are many simple tasks that has to be done with many taps. For example: whenever I want to change page orientation, in order to change hands, i have to do 3 taps. I'd like to have that on the page orientation icon and done with a single tap!! I avoid changing hands because of that: it disturbs my reading when I have to start tapping to accomplish a simple thing. Besides that, why do we have to press the page orientation to change screen contrast or brightness?

There are also wasted screen areas that could be better used for text display. I mean the top and bottom part of the screen. I'd like to have the possibility to hide the top tab (with the default magnifying glass) and the page number bar on the botton.

There are many other things that can be done with this device (eg. audio jack?) but I think these suggestions are simple to accomplish and may have a great impact on usability.

I wonder if the ebookwise 1150 firmware can be upgraded. Does anyone knows anything about it?
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote