View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
File Navigation: Hanlin V3 vs OpenInkPot

The Hanlin V3 is one of the few ebook reading devices with "folders". However, I would describe its file navigation software and user interface as functional but basic. I have never used a Cybook Gen3, but its user interface seems to be a bit snazzier.

In any case, the attached screen scans (100 ppi, so a lower resolution than the actual screen) show some of the features of the Hanlin V3 interface. This is not comprehensive (i.e. there are options I am not showing). The next post will be the same shots from OpenInkPot.

The 1st scan shows my top level directories on the SD card. Note that "Recent Files" is a virtual directory that contains the recent ebooks. There are 8 entries so that they can selected using keys 1-8 (keys 9-0 are page back and forward).

The 2nd scan is the "Recent Files" virtual directory. The boot-OI-V3.fb2.exe "ebook" is the OI-on-SD live version of OpenInkPot (click on this to reboot into OpenInkPot).

The 3rd scan is the contents of the "New" directory. This actually contains one ebook for each of many file types. Only the ebook types that are actually supported are shown. Ebooks that are not show (not supported) include Plucker and zTXT (both .pdb files), but PalmDOC (another .pdb) is shown and supported. I like the different icons for each ebook type. Note that only the MOBI ebook is showing the actual title of the book, all the rest are using the filename. This includes the FB2 ebook where the title is easily found (less easy, but also possible, for ePub and some others).

The 4th scan is the next (last) page of New. Showing two more ebooks types (PDF and CHM). An eReader (.pdb) file is not shown (not supported).

The 5th scan is the SciFi directory, showing another set of directories, based on author name. Using folder hierarchies (genre/author/series/book) is why folders are so important for large libraries.

The 6th scan is the Pournelle directory, showing the 1st eight ebooks. These are in filename order (i.e. The Gripping Hand is under "G", because the filename excludes the "The").
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EZR_F1h.jpg
Views:	779
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	24238   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZR_F2h.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	24239   Click image for larger version

Name:	EZR_F3h.jpg
Views:	776