Thread: Ideas?
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
A month on and I'm still no nearer to purchasing an ereader. What's worse is the priority of my requirements seem to change on a weekly basis and my final decision seems to change with each new release of hardware.
  • I still need to read PDFs so I'd want to be able to read that. I've tried converting to other formats using everything from Kalibre to various OCR tools - didn't get good results with anything.
  • I like the idea of a small reader that can fit in my pocket like the (pocketbook 360) but I'm not sure what happens when I try to read the above PDFs.
  • I like the Kindle's feature of being able to read wikipedia from anywhere via the net but realise this isn't available in the UK.
  • I like the idea of a touch screen and the ability to write down ideas on the go (like on the sony PRS 600) but I'm unsure about the screen and very unsure about the need to resize PDF pages on every turn of the page. I do like the look and robust nature of this one though.
  • Extras like the Kindle's text to speech are neat but I'm not sure how long I could listen to that voice. I even like the games on the pocketbook - I like sudoku and chess. I even like it's ability to switch to a Unix prompt - I know this bit is rather pointless but I'm a geek at heart.
  • I like the look of the Nook but the software appears to be lagging behind the hardware.
  • I like the price of the Kobo but it seems to miss out in many areas (ie PDFs). Perhaps a port of open inkpot might solve this in future. I'm just hoping the lower price will start to lower other ereader prices.
Arghhhh - In short I still haven't a clue. At least I suppose delaying purchase will just mean the combination of features and prices will slowly become more acceptable.

Mike
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote