View Single Post
Old 06-25-2016, 11:18 AM   #32
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Hmm... When I read what you say here, all I get is that you have a set of free software products that you happen to trust, and you have decided (arbitrarily, it seems) to call it "Free Software". In other words, you have done what I suggested: you have assessed the provenance of these products as good enough for you. Since "Free Software" (unless referencing FSF) has no commonly accepted meaning, adding that as a label to what you yourself have vetted is not much use to anyone else.

If you really want to keep it simple, just say it like it is: "here is some free software that I use and trust."
You've misunderstood. You're not trying hard enough.-) You must learn to dissociate the word free from money. When I talk about free software, I'm not talking about money. I'm talking about the freedom the software gives to the user. Whether the user pays for it is irrelevant. Whether they're free to use it and do with it what they want is what matters. Don't overcomplicate it.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote