View Single Post
Old 01-20-2015, 01:38 PM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher33 View Post
Thanks once again Hitch. Found the major problem, ID was converting all my images to png instead of compressing the jpgs. A high quality ePub file is now 36 MB.
Flyfisher:

You're going to hate me, but...honestly, using PNGs is better, 99% of the time, than using JPEGs, simply because PNGs are not lossy by design. And you can compress the high holy heck out of them. If you have graphics, like vectors, man, you can get a lot of mileage out of PNG-8.

What Wolfie, the Resident Curmudgeon, says, is accurate--be careful about what you do to compress/save that space. You still need as many pixels as possible on the high-rez devices. For example...(rummages around, looking for the Evernote file that I had to save, because the Politically-Correct Nazis at Wikipedia took DOWN the perfectly good, absolutely useful article about device/tablet screen resolutions and sizes--MR'ers, can we do a wiki article HERE with that info???? Or is everyone going to complain because it's "too commercial," ???)...
  • A KFire has a "mere" 1024 x 600 pixels, but,
  • A Fire HD 7" has 1280 x 800.
  • An HD 9.9 has 1920 x 1200, but,
  • An HDX 8.9 has a whopping 2560 x 1600.

...and, what most people don't realize is generally, the displays show the images pixel-for-pixel.

So, if you put an image in that's 600px wide, on the Fire, it would be full-width (in portrait mode, obviously); on the HD 8.9, it would be a skosh over 2" wide; but on the HDX, it would be less than 2" wide.

And please, for the love of heaven, don't do what you see touted around, setting "width=100%," please, because LOTS of people read with things like K4PC/Mac, and end up with grossly overblown images.

Offered FWIW.

Quote:
Unfortunately kindlegen bloats that to 72 although, as someone said elsewhere that may be the effect of kg producing several files for the old and new kindles. I'll try uploading the the ePub file as soon as I can get a US TIN to see if works. If not I can always use a lower quality (half-size) file.
BTW, I couldn't find Texanns02 anywhere.
Paul
ALSO, that's not "bloat." It's 3 files. It's a complete copy of your source file (36MB, apparently), a KF8 file (of unknown size, for now) and a KF7 file. You can find out your delivery fee, etc., without any TIN, EIN or SSN; you can set up an Amazon account without that, and test your book. You can't PUBLISH the book without it, but test accounts? That, you can do all day long.

Again, offered FWIW.

Oh, and Sorry, it's Tex2002ans, or something like that: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=174079

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 01-20-2015 at 01:40 PM. Reason: ETA info on Tex...
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote