View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #51
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
To each their own, but I personally don't see why anybody would want such a small device.
- Because a phone larger than 4.7 inch doesn't fit comfortably in my pants' pockets anymore. 4.7 inch already is pushing it.
- I don't have big hands. Compared to other men of my length, my hands are actually small. I need TWO hands to use a 4.7 inch phone, or I'll be in danger of dropping it.

Quote:
When phones were just phones, it made sense to make them as small as possible, but now they are much more than phones, they're tools and production devices, and having a larger screen makes them that much more useful.
For me, a smartphone is still primarily a phone, with the additional capability of doing other stuff if I want it to. The only things I want it to do, is find public transport times, and show me a route if I ask for that. My Motorola Milestone (3.7 inch) could do that very well.

Pity that this phone just gave up the ghost about a year ago, after almost three years of service.

Quote:
Reading/composing emails, browsing the web, reading office files, watching videos, ... is much more enjoyable and productive when you have a larger screen. And if you compare newer devices, like the N5, they're actually not that large as the bezels have shrunk significantly on the last generation.
Not everybody wants to do that. I don't, except for the occasional emergency email that I HAVE to read or answer now, but those are few and far between. If I get such an email, I wonder why that person did not just call me.

The only reason I need (want) a powerful phone is the Maps application; it just doesn't run well on a low-end device anymore, or I would have more than enough choice. (But then we're getting into the realm of providers/manufacturers putting their own crap onto the phones, and non-updated operating sytems...)

I almost have a feeling that people who want less, or want stuff to be more simple (not as in more simple to use, but as only having installed what you want to use) are seen as being backward.

I don't want information overload, don't need omnipresent entertainment everywhere I go, and that is what current smartphones are mostly providing.

Last edited by Katsunami; 11-13-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote