View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #75
bmwvan
Connoisseur
bmwvan is on a distinguished road

Device: hp iPAQ 4700/Fictionwise reader/Sony 505
If I may, we are far adrift from the question of an author changing their work to suit the sellers of that product. On one hand, that is a form of censorship, but the author accepts that censorship because it is the price of being published. If the public does not want the product as written and changes can fix that, that's supply and demand. The question of why the public wants the changes made may include religion and politics. IMHO, those topics are better left to the individual. After all, more wars have been fought over belief systems than any other topic. I say that after more than 20 years study of anthropology and history. You can probably guess that religion and politics are not dinner table topics at my house! I'll stick with books, travel, sports, the weather, you know, safe stuff.

Harry is right to not want young people exposed to language he deems inappropriate, but those of you that have expressed an alternate viewpoint are equally right. I grew up reading all the books my parents read and they taught me that language is to be used correctly in context. They trusted me to avoid cussing like a salior in school, and I didn't. I still like to string 10 or 20 really vile cusswords together when I'm trying to get a program to work correctly and it just won't. Like Python and my never-ending attempte to dedrm book files. THAT'S worth curse words, don't you think? Damnit!
bmwvan is offline   Reply With Quote