View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #147
lcole
lcole began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I am glad this well stated book copying topic by ERESZET still exists. The
original entries from 2007 are nicely done and well illustrated.

The project that I have is similar, but I have some different interests and
different constraints. If my interests, problems, and solutions (yours) are
interesting, I would appreciate your help and comments on the subject.

Here goes--

I also have a V shaped copy stand similar to the one originally described,
by ereszet except that I have mounts for two (identical) opposed cameras that
will permit capture of two separate pages simultaenously as JPEG images.

I am using camera files (JPEG) as input to Omnipage17. I am not using Omni as a scanner.

It is my intention to put the books I am copying on my Kindle. Kindle will not
accept JPEGS, and the file types that it does accept are limited.

My problem is to ascertain which are my best options to move separate JPEG page images to a single file on the Kindle.

I have some software and have tried several other software options, but as yet, I don't have a solid, easy to use, reliable plan/system to arrive at the best solution.

1) Because I am using images from Canon A640 cameras, I am stuck with beginning with JPEGs.

2) I have also experimented with Breeze Software's PSremote which allows capture of two page images at once INTO my PC with tap of the space bar. I will not purchase the software until I can be sure that it will integrate into the plan.

3) I am fortunate enough to have Omnipage17 software which will process JPEG images from my cameras. Yes, Omni is a scanner, but I am not using that function. Omni accepts camera files, and I have produced PDF's and Word files with the Omni, but the damned program is so complex that I wonder if I will ever get the hang of it.

4) From above-- The Kindle won't accept JPEGs, PDF's (Adobe), or Doc files.

5) Unless someone has a better solution, it appears that I will use:

-Breeze to capture original JPEG's to the PC

-Omni to produce something other than JPEG'S (Hopefully in a single file in
batch mode)

-Some other software to convert the Omni files to something the Kindle can read.

I note here that several persons have suggested software to get to native PDF or HTML to get something that will convert to PDF's. I have actually tried to convert the PDF out of Omni to another PDF with CALIBRE without success, so far.

Actually, I don't know what is the IDEAL file type to read with the Kindle. I'll
bet that some will recommend MOBI. Just haven't tried it yet.
lcole is offline   Reply With Quote