View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #12
pwjone1
Bookie
pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
I'm just sayin', yes Kindle clearly wins for convenience of book-buying with whispernet. But to further downplay the Sony, calling it "not Mac compatible" is only piling on. The Sony is no more and no less Mac-compatible than the Kindle. The mechanism for adding and removing books from Mac to device is exactly the same. and they're tricking your Mom into thinking it won't work on a Mac.

(P.S. *My* Mom would want to know about library books.)
(fair warning, Kindle owner)

I read the Consumers Reports Kindle 2 vs Sony PRS 700 comparison, and while I might quibble about a thing or two myself, I think CR got it mainly right. Really the Kindle's built in cell makes the host computer, Mac or not, moot. The Kindle screen is more readable, and if you want to compare it with the Sony 505 model, then the support chipset is more advanced. It's easier to deal with the Amazon store than the Sony one (although both could use some improvement). And basically, CR arrived at the same conclusion that NY Times and other reviewers have also, that while close, and each has its pros and cons, the Kindle has certain advantages overall.

I think they may read your letter, certainly some of the points are valid enough, but don't expect miracles, or some sort of retraction, "we've seen the light" type of thing as a result. Probably they get similarly long, passionate, highly technical letters on anything they rate, from Cars (and Sony vs. Kindle reminds me of the Chevy vs. Ford pickup arguments I used to hear all the time back home, man did that get boring, but people sure got passionate about their trucks), to Towels, to Detergent, and so on. If CR agrees with us, it's a good operation, if not, run by idiots. Comes with the territory, I suppose.
pwjone1 is offline   Reply With Quote