View Single Post
Old 06-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #11
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,
In general, I am a bit of a license agnostic, especially when it comes to creating tools for authors and other non-developer users who just want to read and develop their own books.

That said ... I wouldn't be happy if I gave away the literally 100s of hours reverse engineering the mobi 8 code just so that someone else could make money on it without contributing back their code and improvements and without attribution. That was the whole point of the original GPL and although I think the GPL version 3 is doing more harm than good by driving commercial companies away from open source projects like gcc, the original GPL 1 and 2 licenses were quite good licenses and served a useful purpose.

And none of my reverse engineering would have been worth a hill of beans without knowledge of the older mobi format and the original authors of mobiunpack, the huff dic compression code, everyone who contributed to the wiki, and especially the insanely messy code of reading and decoding the indexes with their arcane variable length bytes and rules. So if they want GPL 3 vs 2, who am I to say otherwise. Their choice of license has worked splendidly, as far as I can tell. So I think there is 0 chance of the license of KindleUnpack changing.

My 2 cents,

KevinH

Last edited by KevinH; 06-28-2014 at 11:28 AM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote