View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #11
Syncopated
Syncopated began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncopated View Post
Let me add that the PDF support on the Kindle is incomplete compared to a typical desktop reader app like Acrobat Reader. For example, the title and author often don't show up properly on the book list, and some images do not render correctly. I have a Kindle DX and it gives me these problems with some of my technical books but not Acrobat Reader on my desktop.

The Kindle has been around for a while and Amazon has had plenty of time to address these issues. I suspect that PDF support is just not one of their priorities given that they are in the business of selling books in their own non-PDF format. So, I'm not holding my breathe for them to improve the PDF support. I think I'm switching to PocketBook or Onyx myself.
I got an M91S yesterday hoping to replace my Kindle DX. Unfortunately, I found that the M91S has its own share of PDF problems. I mainly read technical PDFs.

I found that for two of my PDF books, the M91S fails to render certain parts properly, but Acrobat Reader, and probably some reader in Linux, render them correctly. In the first document, some program code listing had lines that got bunched up as one line when they should be displayed as separate lines. In the second document, a box with text in it gets rendered without the text. The latter problem is probably worse. If text can turn invisible, how do you know you are not missing anything when you use the device? I only noticed because it's odd to have a big box with nothing in it and I compared the M91S with Acrobat Reader.

Last edited by Syncopated; 09-24-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Syncopated is offline   Reply With Quote