View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Proposal: Extending Epub with reference book tags

I make my own reference books in Mobipocket, and I would like to do the same in Epub. Unfortunately, the needed tags don't exist yet in the Epub spec.

I'm going to get the ball rolling by listing the three details I've noticed about Mobipocket dictionaries (if I missed one please point it out):

1, an entry in an ebook's metada that indicates it's a dictionary (necessary?);

2, two more entries in the OPF that indicate the input and output languages;

3, the set of tags in the content that define the parts of a data entry (idx:entry, idxrth, idx:key, idx:short, idx:gramgrp, idx:subentry, idx:string, idx:ext-subentry). You can find more about them here.

I don't think all of the tags are necessary. Here is what I would like to propose as a starting point. Also, I'm going to be shameless and simply copy the function and attributes of the existing Mobipocket tags. I've changed some of the names so they are easier to understand.

So, what do you think?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote