View Single Post
Old 11-20-2021, 05:47 AM   #752
Jötunn
Jötunn began at the beginning.

Device: Aura H2O, Note Air 2
I use philosophical and intellectual approaches (like Edward Snowden, Alexander Bard, Jaron Lanier etc.) to keep myself away from any paranoia regarding the shadowy data collection from virtually all sides when using internet wired electronical devices. Practically I try to implement everything that a simple user can do trying to corrupt the data collected. I see that as a more realistic approach than trying to hide everything. I even made a intellectual construct of a data scrambler: A software that imitates realistic online behaviour when oneself is not online. Potentially if enough people would use such a thing collectors will know and they will also know that the data collected is corrupt and in the end this BS starts collapsing at a bigger scale. Stupid dream of a technical Neanderthal.

Not to be too off topic: With an onyx I would probably create a new google account. That's about all. Could possibly manage to implement my VPN directly through the router. As it is with VPNs it complicates data collection while your not anonym and one does not know anything about the servers that the VPN company uses...everything else is to complicated for me. I have no idea where to even start if I would want to block things via router.

However, power consumption works like: lighted screen>Wi-Fi/internet>software. With the onyx also refresh settings will probably cause more or less drain. I will certainly have Wi-Fi off most of the time and using the onyx without or with very little frontlight on. Wi-Fi just for updates off the device and the few android apps I intend to use (iA writer, NZZ, blinkist and for my disappointment I will also try Adobe DRM app cause I have quite a few DRM E-Books and DeDRM plugin doesn't work on many of them...). At the moment I'm waving between nova air and note air 2. Power-wise the note air 2 seems more reliable + I would also like to use note taking besides typewriting and the nova air is note even A5 format.

All in all I think that for my project Onyx + Bluetooth keyboard is in a lot of ways a better compromise than a Kobo Sage + Freewriter (initial plan) or 13" E-Ink screen + Keyboard + raspberry (cool but to expensive and complicated and less mobile....)

Last edited by Jötunn; 11-20-2021 at 05:50 AM.
Jötunn is offline   Reply With Quote