View Single Post
Old 10-09-2017, 03:55 PM   #36
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'd actually argue that "just using Linux" is the ONLY way to learn it. Just like DOS, Windows, or OSX. You learn by jumping in (and seeking help after you run into trouble). There is no preparation for learning a new OS (other than learning how to install it). Power-using can always come later.
I suspect that philosophy is why Linux never killed Windows.

I also suspect that what you, and possibly varlog, really mean is:

"In order to learn Linux, you need to use it" rather than that using it is itself the way to learn.

I agree that you should not simply pick up 'Linux for Dummies' to read in bed, any more than you should read "Guitar for Dummies" without a guitar, and expect to learn to play, and I agree that you REALLY SHOULD be using Linux while you are learning it.

Using Linux might bring to the forefront the things that you need to learn, in a practical and meaningful way, but it will not teach you.

Linux is a dense and deep mass of arcane config files and command parameters.

"Just using it" is no more the best way to learn* than picking up an air tank and jumping in to the open ocean is the best way to learn to scuba dive.

(I assume by "using it" we are not just talking about navigating a desktop GUI and clicking icons, right?)

*for most people. I guess there are some wacky Sheldon-Cooper-esque savant types among Linux geeks who actually DID learn it best that way.

Last edited by ApK; 10-09-2017 at 03:59 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote