View Single Post
Old 10-09-2017, 02:54 PM   #34
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by varlog View Post
To learn linux just start using it.
The easy way would be to install Ubuntu, which is good all purpose operating system.
More difficult, but starting your learn process immediately, would be to install Arch. As a bonus you get a cutting edge Linux. Arch has also a very comprehensive guides on most problems you can get yourself into.
If you seek more general knowledge, you should start with Unix perhaps. Linux is just one of the many Unix flavors.
I disagree with just about everything you said.
(Except for the idea of installing Linux to get started...it's certainly good to have ready access to the thing you're trying to learn, and getting familiar with how Linux works on a nice simple desktop first would probably make hacking an embedded system like an ereader quite a bit less daunting.)

Just using Linux is a HORRIBLE way to learn it. I'd saying an impossible way, unless by using it you mean "spend all your time studying man pages."
Find a decent book or tutorial site or two, and better yet, find some friends who know it.

I also disagree that there is any value learning on a true UNIX as opposed to Linux, and I'd say that for the OPs purposes, Linux is the far better choice for both general and specific knowledge, since it's what's used on all the systems the OP is seemingly interested in.
Plus, the free and open thing....

And Linux is NOT a "UNIX flavor." It's a different operating system. Just ask Linus' lawyers.

Last edited by ApK; 10-09-2017 at 02:58 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote