View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 07:42 AM   #133
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I think the attached image from Teleread sums it up in a lot of ways.

People are generally resistant to any form of change. Change forces people out of comfort zones and that familiarity of using or doing something the same way they have done all their lives.

My parents (both in their 70's) both have iPad's and my Father commented to me that Mum loves it. Email, games, Facebook and Facebook messages, reading magazines. All good and something she has dove into with great courage ignoring that resistance to change. Dad is no different and the phone calls I used to get when they had a PC have diminished significantly. Now Mum is talking "Kindle".

I cannot read on a tablet myself as my eyes do not like backlit LCD screens for the time required to get into an ebook. So I do hope that a single purpose device like an e-ink ereader remains purchasable. I am sure it will as single use devices are masters of what they do and provide no distractions like email, message alerts and an icon with a disgruntled bird on it.
I find myself completely surprised at some who are anti digital reading (tablet, smartphone, ereader or other). My roommate's son, at 19 addicted to his video games and computer for the last 10 plus years, is anti ebook on any device while she and her mom and dad (her stepmom is not really a reader) are all into ebooks. I guess it's my fault. I bought a lot of six pocketpc's a few years ago and handed them out. They took to them like fish to water.

I prefer a tablet for reading as I don't read outdoors much although if the price was right a paper-white reader for reading outdoors is a possibility. I got used to the backlight for reading with my old pocketpc around 2001 but had been reading on my computer for a couple of years before that. Now I much prefer to do my reading with the lights out and the only light in the room from my monitors and possibly the tv. I often read six or more hours a day and find there is no more eyestrain than when I would read paper books for the same amount of time. The thing I do notice is my hands don't hurt from holding a heavy book lol.

As for it being the paper versions of books still around in 200 years... well only if printed on acid free paper and kept in proper conditions. The few "paper" books I have are starting to yellow quite badly and they are less than 20 years old. I can't imagine what condition they would be in in the year 2200 lol.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote