View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #796
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
What I really don't get logically is the banning of potatoes. I've read about it in numerous articles and books but I never understood what is soo wrong with them.
The carbohydrates in potatoes have a high glycemic index (they cause the blood sugar levels to rise and fall quickly in spikes - which affects insulin secretion. Carbs that are rapidly broken down into the bloodstream are thought to be stored as fat (under the influence of insulin), whereas foods with a low GI are broken down more slowly and used as an energy source by the body rather than being stored as fat. High GI carbs begin conversion to glucose in the mouth and are thought to stimulate appetite, whereas low GI carbs cause a feeling of satiety with lower portion sizes.

All this is somewhat controversial - a lot depends on individual differences in metabolism, activity levels, etc. But I found that there was a sizable difference in the portion size between "white" pasta and "brown" pasta (rice, spaghetti, etc.) that was "filling" to me - I ate a LOT less brown pasta but felt quite full - never went back for seconds.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote