View Single Post
Old 05-16-2005, 11:38 AM   #5
derekweb
Groupie
derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Palm Treo 700p & iPaq hx2755
Battery Life on the hx2755

By now, I've had a decent amount of time to evaluate the Battery Life under my own personal usage conditions. It would probably be appropriate for me to share those thoughts (since I don't have hard numbers, please bear with my point of view on this).

Usage:
I use my handheld for everything. EVERYTHING. Pictures, music, eBooks, Astronomy charts (yes, for some reason watching the night sky go round is relaxing.), Word Processing, Spreadsheets, ... like I said, everything.

I have to recharge the handheld around every other day.

Caveat. When I have security engaged, for some reason the handheld continuously pops on. Time interval is somewhere between 30min to 1 hour. The device WILL auto shut off, but after my standard default of 3 min. As such, it's chewing power. Because of that, when Security is engaged, I've found that it's BEST to have the device charged at LEAST once a day, and better even to just keep it plugged in when it's not in your pocket.

While listening to music.
On thing about BetaPlayer (or MS Media Player 9) ... the screen does not shut off. However, WinOS Mobile does include an option under SETTINGS to really really dim your screen. Wonderful setting, truth be told. Saves a LOT on battery juice. I've gone for several hours (at least 3, but I didn't time it unfortunately, but I went all afternoon between lunch and going home) listening to music via headphones.

Speaking of headphones, vs built-in speaker. Headphones in general (maybe this is commonly known by everyone else, but I've recently seen the clues) seem to draw less power consumption than does the internal built in speaker. As such, when possible, you should use headphones.

There are other things you can do to help optimize your battery life. Wi Fi as everyone knows eats it like a starving cow. So does Blue tooth, but not QUITE as badly. Screen brightness also affects it, as everyone knows.

Those are the biggies for Battery consumption. And that is also the short of it, regarding my observations on Battery Life. I'll write more later on other parts of the handheld.