View Single Post
Old 05-16-2005, 11:27 AM   #4
derekweb
Groupie
derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Palm Treo 700p & iPaq hx2755
Actually, Craig. What I'm feeling are the resets. /sigh/ Every time it seems (although it is actually much less than this, but still, ...) it seems like I'm doing a soft reset because the OS has stopped responding, or the today screen filters (the default ones, like my name fer crying out loud) are going wacky (showing boxes and crap characters). On average, I'm soft-resetting about 2 to 3 times a day. But then, I tend to really use my handheld. But coming from PalmOS land, I really expect stability while I'm out and about on the move.

However. That all said. /deep breath/ For backups, I absolutely LOVE the built in ROM accessable File Store that IPaq did. It survives even a Hard Reset, allowing you to have a SAFE backup of everything. I have a LOT more confidence now if I'm out and about and I lose power. Though I've even taken some steps to ensure that that won't happen either (9 volt emergency recharger! WOOT!)

To the one above, I'll give the software you listed a try. I'm always looking for better software. To answer your questions, too. Yes, I did register this latest (I think it WAS v3.1 of NetFront). When they release v3.2, you can bet that I'll be there handheld ready for an upgrade. :-)

To be honest, my expectations may seem pretty high. I've foudn that all adjusting aside, (which is STILL quite a pain, ... I apparently don't like change all that much, even despite my co-workers telling me I'm a change-agent). The hardware itself is pretty good. I'm relatively pleased hardware wise and capability wise. It's really the software that is the hardest to deal with, get used to, etc.

Windows Mobile simply isn't as stable. Although. To be fair, I have a friend who just bought the T|5 from PalmOne. He's not much more stable at the moment than I am. LOL ... His issues, straight out of the box mind you, were one factor I decided to look at ALL of the handhelds available. The other reason: The HX iPaq hx2755 was HERE. Not vaporware. So far, while the designs for the PalmOne MM Life Drive are NICE, ... show me the hardware. If you can't produce it for me (yet) in PERSON, then it don't exist! Which means it's not there for consideration. /shrug/ I waited about 6 months to upgrade, ... was expecting good things for the T|5. Was disappointed. Expected good things about the Life Drive. It isn't here yet.

You can see the process of how I came over to PPC land.

Still. Rambling aside. There are some nice things to say about multi-tasking. I just wish that MS had included most of the WisbarAdvanced functions built IN to the dog gone OS.

Why is it that MS only does the OS half baked?