View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 05:45 AM   #5
shousa
Groupie
shousa doesn't littershousa doesn't littershousa doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I did read your message carefully. Your claim that books for the Sony Reader can only be purchased from the Sony Store is wrong. Fictionwise sell Sony (LRF) books and magazines as a part of their "multiformat" product range.

The Kindle is not tied to Amazon; any DRM-free MobiPocket book can be read on the Kindle, and once again these can be purchased from Fictionwise, Baen, etc.

No "hacking software" required; just buy and read.

The fact that the specific books that you want to read are not available as eBooks (and I must confess to never having heard of this "famous and aclaimed masters of Rome" series that you refer to) does not invalidate any of the above. There is NO eBook reader on the market that is tied to one specific eBook store. Your claims are therefore incorrect.
Points taken but again small stores without the same range as paperbacks are irrelevant to the average user who I have defined as needing the same range as paperbacks, Fictionwise and Baen's range may be fine for your needs but do not invalidate this point (I am just repeating this point again).

To put it bluntly (excuse caps) THE BIG STORES WITH A BIG RANGE ARE ALL I AM TALKING ABOUT NOT SMALL STORES WITH A SMALL RANGE NOR PUBLIC DOMAIN.

Kindle ebooks cannot be put on the Sony Reader (without hacking) and neither can Sony ebooks be put on Kindle - THIS IS MY POINT. So having now defined it more accurately I think you can see where I am coming from. Apologies again for my lack of a full definition.

The books in question are bestsellers - the first book (which is not available as an ebook from your sellers) being a new york times bestseller as this link shows. The fact you are ignorant of this book is not an argument.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fir...me_%28novel%29

I really think obscure small stores are not an issue for my defined "average user" and certainly not for me.
shousa is offline   Reply With Quote