View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 01:08 PM   #18
mornington
Connoisseur
mornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
device sync is not going to happen. There's no way to make it work reliably, especially in software like calibre which relies on no support from the device firmware. Just look at all the problems that sync causes in the SONY software, which does have support from the device firmware. .
I assumed as much, but note that what I'm talking about isn't a true device *sync*, but something rather more low-key than that: Relocating a file on the device. The logic would be:

Calibre saw some file on the device last time the device was connected but can't see it now. It *can* however see files on the device which are apparently not in the library. So before deciding that the file in the library isn't on the device it attempts to match the library file with the ones it's just found on the library. If it finds a match, it updates its record of where that file lives on the device.

This solves the issue of the user moving a file to a different location on the device outside of calibre or changing the key metadata - title or author, say - in Calibre *after* sending a file to the device. At present, calibre seems to lose track of the file (particularly evident if I change the title of a book). With this change, it wouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
What's the point of seeing device path while the device is not connected? And since you can connect multiple devices all of which might have the same book on them, this is not a natural fit.
This was just a suggested quick-fix for the above problem: Making the path-to-file-on-device a visible and editable text field would allow the user to update that info in calibre "manually" if, for example, the name of the folder the file lives in on the device is changed for whatever reason (eg to create Kindle collections from folders using the KCM tool).

At present, that requires me to backup the kindle metadata files for each book, remove the books from the device in calibre, send them back to the device in calibre (to the new location) and then restore the kindle metadata files to the correct location and filename on my kindle.

With the matching code described above I'd just change the folder name and calibre would find the files automatically in their new location. Or with the visible-and-editable path-to-file-on-device field I could just do a search and replace on that field to change the old folder name to the new one. Less convenient than the matching approach, but much more convenient than what I have to do now.
mornington is offline   Reply With Quote