View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 05:31 AM   #1
DairyKnight
Connoisseur
DairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with others

Device: PRS-505
Kindle DX Homebrew - It works with Java!!

A lot of people have successfully built binary code to run on Amazon Kindle DX. But the hard part has always been how to work with the e-ink framebuffer driver, to correctly refresh the screen.

I have spent some time digging/reverse engineering the Amazon Java library
and have just found a solution with Java code. So you will just need to know some basic Java/Awt stuff to program for your kindle

A sample program has been attached. The key lies in the JNI adapter 'FrameBufferJNI.java', for which the binary file is /usr/java/lib/libjniframebuffer.so It supports partial, fully and black-white out screen refreshing, which is basically all what you can do with the device.

To run the program -
1. Download JDK/Java ME SDK/NetBeans from Sun
2. Build the program, scp the whole directory to your Kindle DX.
3. Run: /usr/java/bin/cvm cdcapplication1.Main

Have fun! I'm looking forward to some programs ported to Kindle DX, e.g. FBReader for Java.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1013.jpg
Views:	1265
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	38046  
Attached Files
File Type: zip CdcApplication1.zip (30.8 KB, 842 views)
DairyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote