Thread: New Computer
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Very possibly.
I am not sure why it was split up.
Were the two FAQs ever together in one FAQ item to be split up. They are in different groups (miscellaneous and library management), and they are fit for purpose - backup, and move a library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
It also helps when we know that the OP wants to copy over settings in addition to the library that way we can refer to the other section of the FAQ regardless.
You're assuming the several million calibre users know of the existence and significance of the configuration directory. I suspect 90% of them are blissfully, and quite rightly, unaware of it. I observe Kovid Goyal Inc has a policy that sees them making considerable effort to make that so - perhaps you disagree with KG Inc's policy

For me a primary raison d'être for a FAQ item is that it obviates the need for the user to post anything here; not to tell them half the story so that they are not forced to make 'fools of themselves' by posting here, and suffering the resultant opprobrium.

Obviously a FAQ such as that suggested would need caveats and cautions about moving from one baseline OS/FS configuration to another etc.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote