View Single Post
Old 12-09-2015, 04:42 AM   #3
Jim Chapman
Addict
Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lumia 950 Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It could be argued that reading mode should be responsive to whether the tray is hidden or not and redraw in response in the available viewport, so people would not have to hide it to see reading progress or whatever, but that's probably 'expensive' as it requires reflowing everything. I'm not sure I'd vote for that. I don't know if Windows Phone 8.1 lets apps auto-hide the button tray as on Android. That would be better, I think.
Yes, I never did quite get to the bottom of how to deal with the 'pop-up button' tray in Windows Phone 8.1. One difficulty is that, as far as WP8.1 is concerned, Freda is actually a 'legacy' app (it was built for WP8, and it runs on WP8.1 in a kind of compatibility mode called, for no very good reason, 'Silverlight').
On Windows 10 Mobile, it seems to do the right thing automatically, but I will continue tweaking it to see if I can explicitly offer the user the choice between 'button tray acts as an opaque overlay' and 'button tray occupies some of the viewport and triggers a reflow'; this is an area where I think different users will want different behaviours.

Last edited by Jim Chapman; 12-09-2015 at 07:39 AM.
Jim Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote