View Single Post
Old 07-11-2017, 03:46 AM   #48
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
I made an attempt to start with method 1. But got stuck: had downloaded and installed vmware player on a windows box. downloaded the debian vm image. but kept getting a file corrupt message from vmware player when i tried to load the image.

Then, I was just idly browsing through the search results for "gcc" query. Found this recent post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&highlight=gcc by theol0403.

This was more than enough for my needs!

On my Ubuntu netbook, I already had Qemu. I downloaded the debian wheezy armel image and the two associated boot files. Brought up the debian armel image. Took a long time to boot. Did an apt-get update. Installed gcc and make.

Then downloaded the latest source for the CLI application I wanted to port over to the Kindles. This is Popeye, which member encol had already done a port for me earlier in this thread, for the previous version.

Extracted the source to a folder inside the armel image. From within the folder, gave a "make -f makefile.unx" command. It took nearly 4 hours to compile. But the final executable worked on the debian image. I also copied over encol's earlier port and this too worked!

Finally, copied the executable over to my PW1. Here too it worked OK. haven't yet tried on my PW3, but I'm sure it'll work there too.

So, this method seems to be a simpler and quicker way to get stuff compiled for the Kindles. Also, the source code compiled cleanly without any need for tweaking the make file, etc. This may be something rare or a testimony to the developers !

Will update the separate Popeye thread next.

Thanks to coplate, encol, knc1 and especially theol0403 for his new thread!

Edit 13-Jul-17: Debian version wrongly mentioned as Jessie instead of Wheezy. Corrected.

Last edited by nasser; 07-13-2017 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Wheezy, not Jessie!
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote