View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #869
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I don't know how difficult it is to get extra background images, but textured is definitely more natural.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacty View Post
could we get some old papers color, or something like this for background...i've found that any solid color in ipad looks strange, at least for me...
I couldn't agree with you more, guys! Solid-colour backgrounds are not just strange, but (to me) above all boring.

But don't worry -- Kris knows about this request, and textured backgrounds are coming in a future Marvin release. He said he hadn't included them in Marvin because he had thought no one was using them nowadays anymore, but as he'll be able to read here, too, that's not the case.

For me in Stanza, my favourite textured backgrounds used to be Wood for Day Mode (looks fabulously especially on the iPhone) and Bedroom for Night Mode -- that's the black one with sort of red flames showing through here and there. In Apabi Reader, I liked Parchment. Anyway, lots of options are possible, including the "old newspaper" style. I prefer delicate, non-obtrusive textured backgrounds, like those three mentioned above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacty View Post
as much as ipad has a perfect screen, reading books on it is still slightly unnatural for me, because all those variations of beige, yellow or brown or orange backgrounds are screaming at my eyes...
Same here. And this is why I currently use Marvin for 99% in Night Mode, even during day-time. (That is, solid-black background -- but Stanza's "Bedroom" background would become Marvin even more!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
This would probably best be accomplished by simply allowing people to choose a background image.
Technically, yes. The best is to offer both (I think Stanza does that): offer the Marvin user a selection of, say, 12 to 15 textured backgrounds, and give the Marvin user the option to use a custom background image for screen background, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I also think the page turn animation is cool - the one with the wobbly page and it changes shades and such... I used it to convince some of my more "hidebound" friends that an ereader can be just like a book!!
Again, we're on the same page, Turtle. (Pun unintended.)

Only earlier today, here is what I wrote to the Marvin Beta-testing group, regarding page-flip animations:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson
I currently prefer no animation, or the slowest slide in Marvin.

My preferred animation would be "flip page", where the speed of the flip depends on the speed of the reader's finger. See the Kindle app -- fabulously done there (sentences even readable from reverse side of the page as it is being flipped, in "miror mode", of course).

When it comes to the "slide" animation, here again, I'm missing the option to let the slide be as slow/fast as the reader's finger is. If I move my finger very slowly from right to left, the slide would be just as slow, temporarily displaying parts of 2 screens at the same time. It would be a very cool effect, especially in a situation where the coolest effect of all (page flip) isn't on Marvin's menu.