View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #35641
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Tying rawhide laces can be a problem... at first. If you don't like that knot, here are two other options.
1. Tie your usual knot, but with one small variation. When you begin the knot, instead of a simple overhand turn (left over right, as in figure 1 or your example,) make it a double. Go around twice instead of just once, then tie your bow the usual way. The two turns will stop most of the pull on the bow from the movement of your foot.
2. Soften the rawhide laces. Get some ordinary shoe cream (NOT wax shoe polish!) neutral color, and rub it into the last foot or so of lace (the area used for tying.) Really work the cream into the leather, folding and bending, pulling, stretching, bending some more, softening the lace. It will be MUCH easier to tie a bow that will stay.

Stitchawl
Easiest would be to go for option 2, but it's too much hassle. I've got the boat shoes and the lace also runs along the side and back of the shoe. It will eventually become soft enough to use the usual knot (the traditional one with an extra knot made with the bows). I have to say that this new knot works great, it isn't easy to do with stiff laces but when you get it right is stays very well.

Besides the stiff laces I love my new men's boat shoes (the ladies' version was too narrow and pinched). I didn't even need to break them in. I just love how thick and supporting the soles are but how supple they bend, ideal for working in the store all day.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote