View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrw View Post
Is this the correct place for this?
Yes

Quote:
I Love Calibre's functionality, but am slightly frightened by how easily it seems to lose books.
I feel your pain, but it is remarkably difficult to tumble upon the keystrokes needed for calibre to lose books. Consider that a million plus folks currently use calibre... Now consider how many folks report losing books...

Quote:
I also had an experience yesterday where my library (before creation of second library) was showing 534 books, I added another 20 and it showed 515!
Hopefully someone here will help you figure out what is happening before you proceed further.

Quote:
One thing I have noticed is that there are quite a lot of duplicate folders for authors, one of which is always empty.
That is not the norm for this software. When initially pointing to a library for calibre the folder should be empty. If you pointed to a folder structure that already had books it can get confusing.

Quote:
If I could get the library function working again I was thinking of creating a new library and importing from the folder structure of the old one to clean it up - would this be sensible?
You can import from the folder structure but most of your changes to metadata would have been in the metadata.db file and not in the books themselves.

What version of calibre are you using?

If you just upgraded, from which version did you upgrade?

Do you backup your library and metadata.db file on a regular schedule?

Some backup strategies are discussed here.

Good Luck

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-26-2010 at 05:43 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote