View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 03:26 AM   #593
sanders
Connoisseur
sanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Any chance you are a GUI programmer extraordinaire?
Well - perhaps not "extraordinaire", and certainly not with spare time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi
Hmmm... might not the sales of a 6" version warrant the extra effort well over even the combined potential sales of an 8" and a 10" version? (What with most eBook reading devices having 6" displays.)
I just took 8" as a guideline, I figured the 6" people will have to scale down. There's only so much you can minimize the pages of technical documentation before it starts to get almost impossible to get good looking pages.

Also, it's not just the layout I made different. Apart from minor text changes ("the graph above" versus "the graph on the next page") which could be automated, there's also the fact that e-readers offer functionality real books don't. For example, you can zoom in! My book happens to have an illustration of the Mandelbrot set, and in the ebook version I added some text to encourage the reader to zoom in on the set.

In principle, ebooks could be much more interactive too. Imagine a math tutorial where you could edit parameters of graphs and have them regenerated on the fly!
sanders is offline   Reply With Quote