View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 01:15 AM   #586
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
"What with most eBook reading devices having 6" displays."

It's a convenient size. Actually, a fair few have 5" screens as well these days. Smaller readers for novel reading... sure, they're going to typically munge technical books and the like horribly, but they're not really intended for such!
Well, it's not altogether out of the question for especially sized PDFs are made for them. I made an iPhone sized version of Intro. to Mathematical Philosophy, which is somewhat technical, and the iPhone screen is even smaller than the 5" screen.

Quote:
Although again I'd note that very hopefully the next ePub standard will support MathML natively...
Agreed. In the meantime, though, if you want to stick with HTML or XML source, and want pretty good looking output -- not quite as nice a LaTeX in my opinion, but pretty good -- you could try converting to PDF via Prince XML. It uses even uses TeX's hyphenation algorithm, and has some other nice features we've been praising TeX for, despite using XML source It also has *some* support from MathML, though I don't think it's comprehensive. (Haven't tested that yet.)

I've started a thread about Prince XML here with some screenshots comparing to those I already posted in this thread for ADE's ePub vs. LaTeX.

Last edited by frabjous; 09-12-2009 at 01:17 AM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote