View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 09:53 PM   #19
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Right now Apple's webkit has good support for mathml, but Mozilla's browser engine easily has the best mathml support.
From what I learned reading Peter's blog + some email... MathML support in browsers was held together barely by ~ a single volunteer. No real resources were ever dedicated towards it by the browser vendors themselves. The codebase and bugs have been been languishing for years.

See his article, MathML is a failed web standard.

Soon after his ebookcraft talk, he was a tiny bit more hopeful (there was a developer from Apple in attendance). It seems like Apple (+ iBooks) are the only big players who may potentially be dedicated towards putting some amount of resources towards better MathML support.... but like the article stated, the vendors currently don't even give a fraction of a single developer towards it.

Note: To hear a slightly different take on it, there was a response article written: Response to Peter Krautzberger’s “MathML is a failed web standard”

Note #2: A lot of the MathML support comes from big academic publishers/universities, so it's mostly a "non-web" (Print) thing. There's also a Publishing group at W3C that covers a lot more of trying to get some legacy Print/Book stuff onto the web (I recall them trying to push for CSS to add print-centric float:top + float:bottom).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Microsoft Edge doesn't support MathML.
Firefox is the only one left that has MathML support. The rest don't. (Like KevinH said, Chrome removed it a few years back "for security reasons".)

This is partially why MathJax was created, to create a JS library that could work cross-browser + generate images and/or super-hackish HTML+CSS on the fly. But it's super slow, and even that has some SERIOUS flaws (especially for Accessibility).

From what I could gather, the latest pushes in the Math on Web group are meeting with CSS to get some important functionality baked in (like stretchy characters [brackets, etc.]) + getting more relevant ARIA markup. (Intel I gathered by reading the minutes on the mailing list... I haven't been in the meetings in months though.)

Note: Three interesting results from the AIM workshop is a summary of an Accessibility in Math meeting that happened about a month ago. And 6 Thoughts on accessibility of equation layout summarizes some issues with current math solutions (x^2 spoken out loud might be "ex squared" or "ex to the power of 2" in Physics, but in Chemistry that would be a no go).

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 11-28-2018 at 10:12 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote