View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #605
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacitus View Post
Nice to know, but it would be very helpful if Amazon would publish actual usage stats. They wouldn't even have to publish numbers, just a piechart showing the proportional share of each device type. At some point, K7 device usage will shrink to the point where it won't be worth maintaining both formats, and it and its quirks will go the way of IE6.
In my humble opinion, there's really no decision for the ebook creator/designer/author/whatever to make on that subject. So there's really no need to publish stats. Amazon will simply stop delivering the original mobi7 format when it reaches that point of diminishing returns. With that in mind, I'll feel obligated to make sure that any ebook I design will gracefully degrade to the mobi7 format until such time as a user cannot BUY it for a device that needs that format.

In short: if Amazon is still selling my ebook to customers in the mobi7 format, it's my responsibility to see that they've purchased quality, and not just a "let the chips fall where they may" vestigial appendage of the KF8 conversion process.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote