View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #601
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacitus View Post
Yeah, I guess my terminology was inaccurate. Really what I mean (in MS Word terms) is for the "before" paragraph spacing attribute to be honored after a page-break (i.e. at the start of a new chapter).
That's because Word uses pages. There aren't any "pages" in an ebook, not really. There's no top-of-page, and thus...

Quote:
KF8 seems to handle that just fine, and by the time my next book is ready, I guess it may be time ditch the old format altogether.
I'm really not trying to be argumentative, but it doesn't, actually. To get any type of "top-margin" to work for K8, you need separate HTML files for each chapter and/or section of frontmatter, which then accepts the top of the HTML file as the "top of the page," (essentially--I'm mis-speaking, but I'm trying to explain) and then moves the content to the correct place, e.g., top-margin: 2em or whatever the setting is.

Quote:
(Does Amazon keep stats on the number of old-format-only devices out there, in the same way Google tracks the different versions of Android?)
No, but we know that there are still literally millions of K-1's, K-2's, DX's and early K3's (that didn't upgrade) out there.

Quote:
FWIW, this is what Calibre generates for mobi7:

Code:
 <p height="0pt" width="0pt" align="center">
  <font size="2">*</font>
 </p>
The * is actually 0xa0 (which is the ASCII version of correspond to &nbsp; )
Well, as you say it works on the devices, I can't argue--I have to assume that Calibre subsequently parses that and makes it work. If I put that in an ePUB I was going to convert via KG or KP, it would display asterisks with a 2x font-size, not blank paragraphs. I assume that you'll download a copy of the on-sale book ASAP, and check it in real devices, etc.? (Sorry: I don't recall which devices you said you had or don't have).

Quote:
I assume if you specify KF8 instead, it will generate something different, but I suspect they will try to preserve the spacing in some way. They did a passable job of faking small caps for mobi7 (not good enough for me to want to use, but still...) by capitalizing the text and setting the appropriate font sizes.
Those aren't small-caps; they're Raised Initials, and it's the only sort of faux-caps available for K7. They're extensively used for K7 and in K7 fallback coding for more-advanced books using media-queries.

Best of luck to you on your book sales.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote