View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #43
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
So, since Amazon doesn't have a ineffective DRM they are the consumer's enemy?
If B&N and Amazon both want to sell my books, do I want them to have half baked DRM. Should I choose the weakest DRM and go with the Seller who uses that. Should I choose the weakest company in general who will make mistakes in advertising, presenting, shipping, and billing, with all these mistakes eventually trickling down to my small share of the profit. No.
An Author and a Publisher will choose the best Company, and if he/she doesn't want copy protection he/she will choose "no copy protection."

Don't fault Amazon because it is a competent business.

Don't fault a bank because it chooses to have a good vault, and the best security. I am sure you won't if it has your money.

Do we see the authors that are badmouthing Amazon and claiming to be one with the consumers putting their books online for downloading for say, one half the going price, with a honor system where you can send them payment by PayPal or Credit card, or pay them later when you get the cash?

Interesting... so as an author you would prefer Amazon's shackles, as that
choice may give you the best return? You would prefer a "protected" market
to an "open" one for your books? That approach sounds like you view your
stories as a songwriter might view his music, where he must obtain an exclusive
contract with a "record company", to sell the music. All other options paying
much less. Well, you may have a point, from your point of view.

I am very much a free market capitalist and expect that all parties will eventually
do what is in their best interest. That also includes the ebook purchaser, and as
one of those, I find what Amazon is attempting, to be against my best interest.
As an author you might consider that if it becomes the case that I can no longer
make ebooks purchased from Amazon readable on my devices, I will not be able to
buy your ebooks. If you are satisfied that there are enough Kindle users, and you
need not sell your books to those who use other ereading devices, that is your choice.

As to which companies/company you choose, why would you want to choose to limit
the outlets for your product, to only one? You seem to be saying that Amazon's deal
is the better one, for you, at this time. I have no problem with that. I hope that you
have no problem with the fact that I will not be able to buy your ebook/s then.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 10-08-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote