View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 05:47 PM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I could understand this in the 80's (besides, downloads were over 2400 Baud modems at best, unless you were a BIG corporate user who had 9.6K). Even the in the 90's. But by the end of that time, there were computers at many schools and the Internet had graduated from AOL, Compuserve and USENET . DSL was a new service that made larger (than a 1.4K floppy) download less tedious.
It is 20 years of DSL being common as Cat Videos, so HOW is it possible these folks don't know the basics?
We are not asking the to do any app Coding .
And many, when they get an error box, don't even try and read it (usually there are a few words that normal folk should understand (Access Denied, Password failed...)
Anp poor Hitch probably has to deal with folk the can't even use the correct words (the Homophone plague)
It's just so surprising. I guess that many people just don't live "on" their computers. They have email; they go to places like Facebook or whatever, on their phone, and that's it.

I've had this running discussion, with a customer, for nearly two WEEKS now. We did a kids' book layout for her; then she wanted someone to edit the book. I said okay, and when she got the edited text back, she decided that she wanted those edits changed. (Having to do with tense, which is part of what needed to be changed in the first goddamn place.)

I asked her to use Track Changes and mark up the Word file, which she couldn't do. I asked her to put the edits in a proof form, which she couldn't do. She wanted to CALL me and give me the edits over the phone (to which I said, NO.) I asked her to form her emails in such a way, that I could tell what she wanted to be replaced, which she couldn't do.

But wait, there's more. She finally manages to TYPE IN THE WORD FILE, without track changes, mind you--and then, after I tell the guys to do the new text layout, she emails me and says--you cannot make this stuff up--that she wants me to send back the manuscript, with the "new final text." So she can see it, first.

I'm like...are you KIDDING me? She couldn't even, what, delete what she didn't want and see what the damn file looked like? Couldn't use Track Changes. Couldn't type in Word. When she did, we had to guess at what she wanted and now, she wants us to send a clean file BACK to her.

It's like whack-a-mole. No matter what you've seen a client do, I've seen worse. I read "Clients from Hell" and some client does something, in a story, ad they all act like, "OMG!" and I'm thinking, "you're kidding, right? That happens here EVERY DAMN DAY."

And before anyone assumes that it's old farts--it's not. Yes, sure, we have some clients in their late 80's, early 90's and they get a bit of a pass from me. But we have clients younger than I, and they are just like this.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote