View Single Post
Old 10-12-2018, 11:09 AM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
Which is why I asked the question.

"Most likely"? Is this one of those things where we can only deduce what Amazon's rules are by looking at chicken entrails?
If I convert KF8 back to epub, I get all the features of the epub, except for some changes of style names. When the mobi is just KF7 the code is certainly trashed. So maybe epub isn't necessary if they have KF8. But without a clear OK I'll keep making the fat version.

The obvious reason, to reduce filesize.
I do a journal that sometimes has a photo section and can weigh in at several MB for the epub.
The full bloat mobi doubles that or more.
Not a problem for most, but sometimes I have uploaded many "final" versions only to have a change requested and have to remake and re-up the file, and Murphy's Law ensures that will be at a time when my internet connection is dead slow. Rural "broadband" is that in name only here.
Stupid question, then, as a fellow rural resident: what about solely uploading the ePUB source, alone, and leaving KDP to the conversion to the final file format?

We give our clients both file types, ePUB and MOBI, each optimized for its own environment because that ensures (ha) that they upload the right file to the right place (mostly, not always, of course--despite emphatically explicit instructions, sure as s**t, ePUBs get uploaded...sigh). We don't give them 'source ePUBs' for MOBI, because an ePUB with media-queries for MOBI won't pass ePUBcheck. We don't want them to get confused--"use this one for B&N, iBooks, etc., but this one for KDP," etc.

But you're not an end-user client. Why not just use your source ePUB, w/media queries and other mobi-specific code, and upload that? That gives you the leanest uploading option, leaner than the -donotaddsource version would be, even. Same end result.

Whatcha think?
Spoiler:
(BTW, you're a braver man than I, Gunga Din, if you do the uploading for your clients!)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote