View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #59
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
I was thinking of getting a Kindle 3 and use it to read some manga. I used mangle to convert a sample to the correct portrait resolution and some of the text was borderline legible. I was thinking it may be better to convert the images to match the K3's landscape width resolution so if I can't make out the text in portrait, I can put the Kindle in landscape to get more details.

With your app, what output resolution do you suggest for what I want to achieve? 800x1067? I'm not even sure if it makes sense to be so exact since 1:1 pixel display is probably not possible with the kindle toolbar in the way and the pdf format's scaling feature.
Hmm... good question. I would say set width to 800 and height to -1 (which disables height resizing). This should scale the image so that the width fills up the complete landscape view and the height is just resized to whatever matches the original aspect ratio of the image (so you scroll down in landscape mode to view the rest of the height of the page). I think that should work.

Quote:
Does your margin cropper have a limiter? I have seen some pages that are 90% white and it would make sense for your cropper to abort or limit itself if it wants to chop off more than maybe 10% all around.
No limiter on the white margin cropper. It does stop pretty quickly at the first sign of non-white pixels from all sides of the image. I'm using ImageMagick's built-in border cropper to do the job so there isn't much to be tweaked other than the fuzz level. You can crank the fuzz to 100% if you want minimum border cropping, or you can disable it outright if you are unhappy with it.

Quote:
I notice that your app has a feature to sense double pages and automatically split them to two pages if it's not a single image. For lower resolution devices, it may make sense to force all wide pages, even single image ones, to be cut to two pages. To satisfy both sides of the fence, you could do this:

page 04: Wide image rotated (as is done now)
page 05: Left side of wide image
page 06: Right side of wide image

This way, if the rotated wide image is too shrunken to make out the text, the next two pages will offer a closer view of the same page. Then again, you could have an option where rotated wide images are sampled at double than the specified target resolution so we can still zoom in for more details, though I would hate the needed panning.
I can add the option to keep the unsplit image and then follow it by the split image pages.

You can already set up the .properties file to split all landscape images regardless if there is a mid-image page split detected. I don't have my computer in front of me right now, but I think you just set the strictness values to 0.

Quote:
Sorry if you have already addressed some of these.

Thanks!
Np, please feel free to ask any questions.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote