View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 04:48 AM   #13
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
I've done work in education - mostly teens, but I have some experience of teaching reading to younger children - and agree entirely with what you posted. I think the same reasons mean that older children who haven't learned to read a first language yet gain almost as much benefit from the word being printed on a physical thing that you can touch.

For younger children, the words seem to have a presence outside the physical book. Your example of using puppets to represent a story, or including a real animal in the story are examples of this, I think. It really helps that the book has a physical presence in the classroom space, and that the children have a visible, touchable representation of the story's beginning, middle and end.

I'm sure that some children would be perfectly happy to learn to read using a computer of some kind, but I think this model would run the risk of leaving behind those who tend towards a more kinaesthetic model of learning.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote