View Single Post
Old 11-25-2015, 03:40 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Well, there seem to be endless discussions about emails from Amazon explaining that the poor sap has no KNEP or whatever it's called because "the SLR hasn't been set yet." I avoid Select, so I have no first-hand information about this.
Hmph. That must be over in the VOTA forum, or something. Admittedly, I've been MIA from those fora, by and large, for most of the summer and into the Fall, with some appearances lately, but I hadn't seen any of that. Oh, of course, I have seen the rather endless brouhaha and kerfuffle over the poor slobs that can't now sell their 10-page pamphlets for the same price as a 100K word novel, but, I must have missed the whole SRL discussion vis-a-vis KENP.

Quote:
(I do however have first-hand experience with my books opening in the middle of the TOC. I am just about ready to throw in the towel and set "start" at the first page of the first chapter.)
Oh, yes, no argument. Been there, done that. It's a royal pain, isn't it? Happens with uploaded MOBIs and ePUBs. {sigh}

Quote:
There was an inquiry recently from a gent who wanted to know how FAST the pages had to be flipped. My immediate reaction was that he planned to hire a page-flipper, though I'm not sure how that would work, either....
Jeeze, with my luck, that guy will show up at my door asking about page-flipping.

...and about page-flipping...(slightly OT)...

I have a VERY VERY unhappy client, who paid us to make a FXL book, for Amazon & iBooks, the latter with audio. The iBooks version has this girl singing a song. I told the client, originally, that the music/soundtrack had to be tailored to suit embedding, right? But lo, when I got the music, a year ago, the song was unbroken, like a normal song. Each "stanza" or line, for the matching page, was like...3 seconds long, with no pause WHATSOEVER for page flips.

For a year now, I've been explaining, over and over, that I can't make an iPad PAGE-FLIP FASTER. This guy--who has a simple PDF, and this audio-track, who hired his secretary's KID to be his soundman, mind you, wants this book to be "comparable to a Disney product." (Right? Howza 'bout, if you want a Disney product, you try SPENDING like Disney, no?)

I've explained, in multiple very lengthy emails, that a) I can't make the bloody thing flip faster; b) that the sound has to be completely redone, and c) that if he wants a Disney product, maybe he should look at some ACTUAL Disney iBook products, to notice that not ONCE do they, or Apple, or anyone else, have music going OVER THE DAMN PAGE-FLIP.

We've remade this book not less than *15x*. I've added sound effects (ticking clock) to buy time before the page has to flip, so the kids aren't trying to read faster than the speed of light; I've tried this, I've tried that. Nothing works, because the guy is SET on his tune, and won't budge.

He hired a NEW project manager, who came on the scene, said that everything was going to be hunky-dory, and then sent me the "new" sound files--which was the same damn song, now sung by someone ELSE. Same timing, same stanzas--same problem. When I told him that the issue still existed, he replied "well, tell me how long each has to be, and I'll have {son of secretary] fix it," and I replied:

"Already been there, done that. This is precisely the SAME conversation that we had, before you, a year ago, with the former project manager. I've already made the books with the allegedly "fixed" soundtrack. Here's the email in which they were sent. Here's the email from <client> in which he said that they're no good."

I told him that Einstein said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result.

Pulling my damn hair out. Fortunately, haven't heard back from them. I mean, there's a lot I don't mind. I don't expect clients to be "tecchie." But when the client HAS an iPad, how hard is it to look at the products that he thinks he's emulating, and see that they are NOT doing what he wants to do, and that there's a reason for it? OISH!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote