View Single Post
Old 11-24-2015, 01:13 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
[QUOTE=Notjohn;3211399]What happens if there's no toc? Is this (no toc) why there's all the hooh-hah on the KDP forums about setting the SRL in books that are in the Kindle lending library? The SLR becomes very important there, because publishers are paid half a cent per page read. Amazon certainly doesn't want them reading the title page! Copyright! Other books by ...!

I have no idea what the hoohah is about. Which amongst you has firm proof from Amazon that "pages read" starts with the SRL, rather than simply counting the page-flips? And it can't even do that; otherwise, the idiots on that forum, etc., would use gigantic fonts to make pages flip earlier. The "pages read" calculation has to be worked off of word count, solely.

I would bet that the calculation--which is done in the PW--is calculated on the BODY of the book, not the frontmatter and title page. I find it hard to believe that Amazon would be so incredibly stupid as to include that, for the purposes of calculating what to pay. If each book sold had an additional "3 pages read," those pages being in the frontmatter, that would be a penny and a half, give or take. That's not a lot per book--but it's a lot over a million books. It's a lot over 500,000 books.

Quote:
Most of my Kindle books start in the middle of the TOC, even if it's only one page. Others start at the first page of the first chapter. And others start at the cover. On occasion I have spotted an error in a book, corrected the error, and republished it -- and found that the SRL had changed! So I long ago drew the conclusion that the robot throws darts to determine the SRL.
Yes, the old "start in the middle/end of the TOC" glitch during upload has been around a long time. Amazon asserts that it's fixed during the PW. {shrug}. I don't remember the last book that I bought that had this--virtually everything starts at the first page of the first chapter, and now with KU, I've downloaded quite a number of Indy-pubbed books. So...I think we can safely infer that it IS fixed in the PW. (Assuming some level of care in the preparation, rather than slop thrown together, that is.)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote