View Single Post
Old 02-15-2020, 10:44 PM   #87
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I started reading Tunnel in the Sky recently, and have put it down.

My impressions of the book are that Heinlein writes like a soldier in a war who has never been in a war. He idolizes a mythical American frontier liberalism, that maybe never existed. It feels like a garish pastiche.

...perhaps he particulary appeals to people who sympathasize with his idealized conservative world view, which I find silly and shallow.
I agree. His style of idealized libertarianism never really grabbed me. Tunnel in the Sky was one of his that I read. If you didn't like the beginning, I wouldn't expect it to get better.

My strongest memory is when the main character sees a fellow student die in front of him and his reaction is 'too bad!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Starship Troopers is also full of this rugged individualism. I suppose its his best expression of it. But it all seems very John Wayne to me. Some people like John Wayne. I prefer my Westerns with Clint Eastwood.
You have good taste
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote